Driving in Ireland

The car rental company I used was Enterprise and I would highly recommend them- they were very helpful and let me extend the rental period twice and change the drop off location with no penalty.

It was a steep learning curve to get back behind the wheel of a manual car after more than ten years driving an automatic. Most of the rentals in Ireland are manual and automatic are considerably more expensive. I chose the little Opel Corsa because she had sat.nav and a USB port and could fit into tight parking spaces.  Having to change gears and remember that the indicators were on the other side to what I was used to kept me alert.

The sat.nav got me into trouble on the very first day in Wexford when it directed me down a steep narrow lane in the middle of the city that turned out to be closed off, so I had to back all the way back up the hill with the sensors squawking to warn me that I was too close to the curb. There were a few other experiences of sat.nav taking me places I didn't want to be - even into a parking building in Mallow instead of the airB&B.

Irish drivers are generally very considerate and patient.  Although I did see some risky overtaking of tractors and hay trucks on the back country roads which are often so narrow that cars have to pull over to the side and stop to let oncoming vehicles pass. Trucks etc never pull over to let you pass like they do in NZ. Mostly the road surfaces are in better condition than home with fewer serious potholes. 

 My worst experience was driving through Cork city in the rain, not knowing where I was going and having to navigate through 4-lane roundabouts during rush hour.

.

Nice little Corsa

Parking in Cork city is crazy. Two hours maximum on the street if you are lucky enough to find a space and you are required to buy a disc from a convenience store to leave on the dash. A disc is a scratchy card like scratch and win except you always lose-  2 euros fifty for 2 hours. You are supposed to scratch the time and date you arrive or is it the time and date that you are due to leave? The instructions don't say. It took us a while to work out that it was possible to buy your parking on line but still after 2 hours the car has to be moved to a different street. Forget cark parking buildings -they are very expensive!


The concept and signs seem antiquated




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bartholomew Cooke

The Hook peninsula , Wexford

St Mary's: Blessing the journey