Last night in the UK - tomorrow Ireland

I've just got used to using UK cash and its time to leave! I'm left with a pile of cash and now I'll have to learn Euros. Most shops here are still happy to take cash and in one shop I even got given one penny change when I spent 4.99.  I've also learned how to use the trains and buses. The BritRail pass for $NZ685 worked out to be an efficient option for 4 days of travel; from Gloucester to Edinburgh to Glasgow to Oban, then back to Edinburgh, and finally Llandudno. Over  dozen different trains. Although I probably didn't save a whole lot in $$, it meant I could avoid line ups at multiple ticket offices.

I arrived in Llandudno yesterday and have been looking for the hotel that my grandparents William and Elizabeth (Lil) Cooke stayed at over 100 years ago. We have a photo of them taken outside Ormscliff with a large group of people.  Because in the photo it appears to be such an impressive and ostentatious building I thought it would be easy to find! But there must be hundreds of similar gorgeous and impressive Victorian buildings in Llandudno. The promenade is lined with them. 




This is the Grand Hotel where I'm staying.  She's a tired old lady now but still has some lovely features from the days when Ringo Starkey and Winston Churchill stayed here. It was a last minute deal on bookingdotcom. It's so popular with older travellers that it's hard to find a free power point in the "quiet room" because of all the electric mobility scooters being charged!

The beach in front


This afternoon I caught the tram up to the top of the Great Orme from where the views are spectacular and there are lovely walks through the heath.


Welsh heath


In the distance is one of the world's largest offshore wind farms






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bartholomew Cooke

The Hook peninsula , Wexford

St Mary's: Blessing the journey